Sunday, February 22, 2015

PLKN_fandoms and book reviews

Okay, nearly everyone who knows me knows I'm a fangirl who is really obsess with stories, the kind that stays at home all day hiding my face behind a book and computer.
One large problem about going PLKN:
NO COMPUTER
Damn.

At first I thought I’m the one of a few who obsesses about books and TV shows such as Sherlock,Doctor Who, etc, etc.
That’s before I met a friend (Nadiah) who is from the same class (and same group) in me.

*Brought Doctor Who novel into class
“Oh I watched this before. That’s a TV show about time traveling isn’t it? Weird story.”
O.O
Someone watched Doctor Who.
Whoa.
I’ve never met someone who watched this show in real life besides those recommended by me and my sis.
(Well, honestly all of them watch this show because I recommended it to my sis and my sis recommended it to her friends.)

Besides that I found out that she likes BBC Sherlock.

“WHY DID WE LIKE A SHOW WHICH COME OUT 3 EPISODES ONLY EVERY TWO YEARS TIME?!”

By typing “likes” because I don’t know whether she is “the show is really good” kind of like or “I’m in that fandom” kind of like. It’s not common to meet someone who knows the word “fandom”.

Even though I said that, I’m lucky enough to meet a person who got tumblr.
I repeat, TUMBLR.
Khai, a Chinese Muslim from Bravo. She’s in fandoms such as Free, K-ON, Shingeki no Kyojin, and some other anime fandoms.

*After giving back her 纪念册(?), which I wrote a list of the fandoms I’m in,
“YI ERN!!” she yelled from her dorm, “WHY DIDN’T YOU TOLD ME YOU LOVE ANGEL BEATS!!!”
How did I know you love it too...囧

By the way, she likes books. She let me see the books she brought to PLKN and one of her favorites is The Book Thief by Markus Zusak *high 5*

Still, things can went a little awkward when you accidentally fangirled in front of a friend you had yet to understand fully.
One of the books she brought with her is The Host by Stephanie Meyer, thus I asked whether she read the Twilight Saga.
She said she read and reread it numerous times.

Then I accidentally talked about Harry Potter…which, come on. Most of my friends who read English novels read Harry Potter before.
And I accidentally fangirled in front of her about Harry Potter.

“Sorry, but I’ve never read Harry Potter series before.”

Oh.
*Crickets*




I’ve met many who loves Twilight Saga, most of them watched the movies rather than read it. (But not much for Harry Potter)
Example: 芷欣 that little sheep with so many “husbands” and Shar-lot-te Goh.

Okay…
Everyone has their own taste in movies and books.

Maybe I’m the weird one who can’t stand romance...
Don’t get it wrong, I read romance (The Time Traveler’s Wife is AWESOME); I just can’t accept those typical romance, especially those Chinese romance novels with “blink blink” covers.
Normally these kind of stories is about a guy who is rich and handsome but with some attitude (Geez I can’t stand people without manners, fictional or not), and the girl is someone who’s innocent and sweet.

You know, at first my friends said I’m like that kind of girl from romance stories, sweet, quiet, innocent, imaginative….
No hard feelings. It meant to be a compliment.
But I’m like:
NO
YOU’RE WRONG
FEAR ME
I’M A DRAGON NOT SOME INNOCENT GIRL
RAWRRRR
(After that they realized I’m not as quiet as I seem to be.)

I just don’t like that kind of girl from romance stories who is very dependent on her boyfriend. Too dependent, as if her boyfriend means her whole life. (Then what about your family, huh?) *Ahem* you know who I mean *ahem*

Another thing about those typical romance stories is third wheel.
(Yes, I’m looking at you, TMI and TID)

I’m reading Clockwork Princess from The Infernal Devices series…and *frustrated* the story will be even more interesting without the stupid James x Tessa x Will third wheel!!
Gosh I can’t understand how can one loves two people at the same time!!

James Carstairs
He speaks Chinese (Technically he’s half Chinese and he lived in China when he’s small)
He’s polite •w•
He plays musical instrument (Violin? Cool~)
He adores Tessa’s passion about reading (Wow. Just, wow. )

But there’s always a downfall about a good character:
He’s ill and need drugs from time to time in able to extend his life. Duh.

And Will is a guy with attitude. Don’t get me wrong, he got some positive characteristics in him. He loves his family, he’s brave, he got sass, he loves reading ……but still, how can Tessa tolerate with his manners?!

Okay, enough blabbering about this third wheel. Can't stop myself from talking about this book because I'm currently reading it. 

As I've said, I'd read 12 books during the 70 days time in camp. 
Favourites among the twelve: 
It's a series about a girl who loves reading. She uses her genius observation and knowledge about books to solves mysteries about books , accompanied by her assistant.
Basically you can't help but love this story if you're a book addict. 

I saw someone on facebook said something like: Won't it be interesting to read if there's a book with villain as it's protagonist
And someone introduce this:
So I called my sis to buy it. 

And.
Whoa.
EPIC!
I know it's not, but I kinda imagined it as a eastern-world fantasy while I'm reading it. I've got a thing about those kind of stories.
It's a story about manipulations and a lot of darkness. Plus a little bit of romance. (Spoiler: which didn't end up well. Too bad. I just started to ship them.)
Not going to type to much about this book in case someone hasn't read it.



Speaking of fandoms, 芷欣 is one who LOVES Super Junior. She even calls them her 老公 .
Below this is our conversation:
“你不觉得叫他们老公很奇怪的咩?
“哪里会。”
“又不是说他们真的是你老公…况且我喜欢的Fictional character我都ship掉了。”
“至少我有见过真正的他们! (在演唱会) 你的你是不可能遇到的
“平行世界你理解吗??! 又不一定要遇见! 至少我能真正了解到他们的性格他们的习惯~
“还跟我平行世界耶你! 好像你能去到那里酱!
“切说不定有一天真的能去到!
……
There's no end for this.

One last thing.
芷欣asked me for book recommendations, thus I told her the same answer I’ve told everyone who ask me for English book recommendations.
“Harry Potter”
Because it’s my favourite.
 “读过了。我七本都读完了,也有看完全部戏。
Oh.
My.
God.
That’s the first time!! FIRST TIME I MET A BEST FRIEND WHO SAID THIS.
Then I told her about “Fantastic Beast and Where to Find them”, which will be aired in 2016 and the Hogwarts Library Box Set which I bought it from Kinokuniya just before I came to PLKN. I haven’t even got the time finished it.

Well,
That’s the story about me finding a person to fangirl at.  (Bonus: she watched Sherlock.)




Sherlock很帅!!!
“他哪里会帅???!
“他聪明到很帅!!” 


No comments:

Post a Comment