Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Childhood dreams that never left


《主人公、交代》by 桐川
http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=60065798


Shy asked me why I love Harry Potter so much.

Startled, I was unable to answer straightaway. Nobody asked me about this before, so I don't really thought about this.

I just...love it? From the start?

I can't clearly remember the first time I read the book. I started from Chamber of Secrets...I think? At least that's what I told myself. The book is not even mine.
And then I read the first book, then the next. And the next.

Harry Potter was a big hit during that time, but isn't really a 'thing' in the lives of people around me, especially those who're same age with me.
There were times where I bring one of HP novels, either Goblet or Fire, or Order of Phoenix, and my classmates will go around saying "whoa you are able to read a book this thick your English must be good~" (which turned out to be a false statement).
I remembered feeling proud of myself, remembered myself thinking it's always not enough for me however thick the book is.

Waiting for an owl to bring me my acceptance letter to Hogwarts,
Spending sleepless nights finished a book,
Imagining myself holding a wand, studying magic in Hogwarts, where I'm interested in every subject they offered,
Chilling beside the Great Lake with my friends,
Staying back and celebrating Christmas (tbh if I got to went there I'll only go home on summer holidays even though there're also other holidays such as Easter and Christmas that allows students to go home)
Studying in a thousand year old magical library....

How can I not fall in love with this story?

Everybody knows Harry Potter is a big hit, most of my classmates saw the movie, but only a few, very few, as I went to Chinese primary school, read the books.
But there's no one to share with, during that time.
My sis didn't read it until a few years later, and I haven't even met Joey so I can't force her to read it and fangirl with me.
I don't even know what a fangirl is during that time, even though I was one.

A few years later I went on tumblr (Joey's fault), discovered fandoms, fanarts, fanfics.
Doctor Who, Sherlock, Once Upon a Time... and of course,
Harry Potter.

Being one of the largest fandom (or is it the largest?), there're plenty to discover in there. However everyone has the right to have their individual opinions, thus some arguments might get heated.

There're times where I temporary forgotten about it, especially when I found a new favourite tv show, jump into a new fandom.
But those Harry Potter-related posts will pop up on my facebook wall or tumblr dashboard occasionally.

And there're also a period, once in a few months, where I decided to reread Harry Potter series despite having tons a book that I bought but haven't read it.

I cherish the moments when I read those familiar words, reread the whole passage / chapter of my favourite scene again and again and again, such as the chapter where Dumbledore visited Harry in hospital wing after Harry defeated Quirrell,
When Lupin barged into the white cottage announcing the birth of Teddy Lupin,
The battle of Hogwarts, where students prepared to defend their school and some of them aren’t even off age,
And did I mentioned Prof. Mcgonagall’s SASS~

After reading The Cursed Child, frankly I’m not really into Fantastic Beasts.
We had too little information about the movie. It’s a completely different story, and I’m not sure I’ll like it.

Thank gods I’m completely wrong about that hahahahahaha~

Fell in love with Newt Scamander from the start.
We have Jacob, a no-maj, tag along during the whole show.
Not to mention the Goldstein sisters who are both badass~

So here am I, back to old (new) life, writing fanfics just for my individual satisfaction, scrolling through tumblr, A03 and twitter with tags #FantasticBeastsandWheretoFindThem #NewtScamander #PorpentinaGoldstein #Newtina #NewtxTina
……

I’m just very very very into that ship Orz

"Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home."

I’m glad to say that I’m back home.






No comments:

Post a Comment